Welcome!

These are all tried-and-tested recipes, adapted from a wide variety of sources. I really hope you enjoy them and find them useful.

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Spinach and pesto spaghetti (V)

This was a handy recipe I adapted as a meal-for-one. It was originally vegetarian but I used some shredded cooked chicken in mine.
Ingredients
75g wholewheat spaghetti
2 tbsp green pesto
Handful of spinach leaves
Handful of sugarsnap peas
1 egg
Optional: Handful of cooked chicken, shredded

Method
Cook the spaghetti in boiling water for around 10 minutes, adding the sugarsnap peas and cooked chicken after 5 minutes.
In a separate pan of boiling water, poach an egg. I always find this a rather laborious and messy process. The best way I can find (without resorting to a plastic microwave egg-poacher) is to crack the egg into a ladle and slowly lower it into the boiling water so that it doesn't fly out everywhere and boil over. Luckily it only takes 4-5 minutes to cook so you don't have to stand there for long. If you're tempted to skip this part, don't. I did initially, tasted the dish and thought, maybe the egg will make a real difference. So I then cooked the egg and yes, it was amazing! Totally worth the extra effort. But that's why there's no egg in my picture above. True story.
Drain off the water from the spaghetti and stir in the pesto and spinach. Serve with the poached egg triumphant on the top. Take a picture so I have a replacement for my blog. (OK that part is optional. But I would appreciate a pic!)

No comments:

Post a Comment